Faith-based organizations are on the front lines providing health care where conflict and disasters strike across the globe. They reach remote and marginalized communities in areas that governments and for-profit facilities frequently do not serve.
IMA World Health and Lutheran World Relief are proud sponsors of the Christian Connections for International Health (CCIH) Annual Conference (#CCIH2019), which brings together the diverse spectrum of Christians providing care with U.S. government and industry partners.
From June 6-8, nearly 200 global health experts and faith leaders from more than 25 nations will gather at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland for the 33rd annual CCIH Conference to discuss how faith-based organizations, government agencies and other partners can work together to strengthen communities and lead them to resilient health systems that can meet primary health care needs and are prepared for disasters and conflict.
This year’s conference theme is Called to Care: A Strong Community for Lasting Health.
We invite attendees to stop by our booth in Salon A to meet staff from IMA World Health and Lutheran World Relief and to learn more about our work. Our field and headquarters staff are also leading or participating in the following presentations:
Friday, 8:30 AM: Worship & Plenary #2 (Salon B & C): Health Systems Strengthening: View from the Ground
- Moderated by Allyson Bear, Vice President for Health Programs, Lutheran World Relief-IMA
Friday, 1:30 PM: Breakout Session 2B (East Room): Communities Provide Ready-made Links to Prevention and Care
- Kerry Dobies, MPH, Senior Technical Program Manager, IMA World Health. Positive Deviance/Hearth: A sustainable, human-centered approach to improving children’s nutrition in Tanzania
- Alex Msumanje, MSc, Program Manager, IMA World Health. Mentoring community case finders to increase the volume of eye surgery in rural Tanzania
Saturday, 10:30 AM: Breakout Session 3A (Salon B & C): Session 3A: Innovations to Unleash the Power of Communities
- Generose Mulokozi, PhD, ASTUTE Team Leader, IMA World Health. Ensuring people’s empowerment in nutrition through home visits in Tanzania
Saturday, 10:30 AM: Breakout Session 3B (East Room): Four Communities, Four Models of Empowerment
- Joseph Ciza, Chief of Party for the USAID Counter Gender-Based Violence, IMA World Health. Human-centered design to strengthen community-based prevention of, and response to, gender-based violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo
Saturday, 10:30 AM: Session 3C: Mission Hospitals in India: Understanding the current scenario and exploring responses to health system change
- Moderated by Kara Eberle, Senior Manager, Interactive Media for Lutheran World Relief-IMA
Saturday 2:50 PM: Breakout Session 4B (East Room): What’s Your Strategy? Innovations that Improve the Health of Women and Children
- Paul-Emile Dalexis, MD, MPH, Program Manager, IMA World Health. Santé nan lekol, se Sikse Timoun yo WASH program in schools across Haiti