Working with the Leadership of IMA World Health, the Director of Fundraising leads the design and implementation of development strategies to increase income and build a sustainable funding base for IMA World Health. In addition to building alliances with individuals, organizations, foundations and corporations that will increase and diversify funding for IMA World Health, the Director of Fundraising brings a marketing sensibility to the organization that increases public awareness of how IMA World Health is helping to meet the critical health needs of our clients.
This position requires a seasoned professional who is a proven leader with an inspired and strategic outlook. S/he must be articulate, persuasive and passionate in support of IMA World Health’s overall mission and goals.
The incumbent develops implements and manages the organization’s fundraising strategies and fundraising staff. S/he oversees and is personally involved with all areas of fund development, including annual giving, major gifts, corporate and foundation relations, donor relations and events, database management, budget development and management.
1. Lead IMA’s efforts to design and implement creative strategies for broadening the organization’s base of support and the process of setting goals and priorities for fund development and marketing.
2. Develop and deliver a fundraising strategy to secure significant donations from a broad range of sources including Philanthropy, private sector, trusts and foundations, and community fundraising.
3. Identify, cultivate and solidify relationships with prospective major donors through regular communication, including face-to-face visits, strategic phone calls, and email communications.
4. Arrange for donor solicitation meetings for relevant IMA staff, including the President & CEO and other senior staff or Board members as may be required. Prepare briefing documents for donor visits and ensure proper follow-up
5. Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that all aspects of fundraising work are efficient and effective.
6. Lead and supervise organization’s Fundraising staff.
7. Enhance the fundraising culture of IMA World Health.
8. Work with the IMA Communications department on marketing materials, concept papers, grant proposals and grant reporting, talking points, web site content, press releases etc. to further the strategic initiatives of the organization.
9. Oversee the coordination of financial data gathering and reporting.
10. Manage the process of drafting required reports for Fundraising activities, including progress reports for Board meetings, monthly internal updates of the status of fundraising initiatives, required business activity progress reports for funders/donors, entities (state registrations, etc.) and any other relevant reports that may be requested or required.
11. Develop and implement evaluation metrics to measure the success of chosen fundraising/development strategies.
12. Manage fundraising related contractors.
1. Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in marketing, communications, business, or related field.
2. Minimum of ten years of fundraising experience with a nonprofit organization, with progressive career development.
3. Familiarity with foundation and corporate funding mechanisms.
4. Demonstrated leadership in innovative and dynamic fundraising concepts and marketing strategies.
5. Must demonstrate that you have the capacity and focus to create and implement multiple fundraising streams; to confidently engage with others to create new fundraising opportunities; and most importantly ‘make the ask’ on behalf of this exciting and important organization.
6. Knowledge of best-practice major gift fundraising including identification, research, solicitation and stewardship
7. Experience setting objectives and delivering fundraising results
8. Strong ability to build and lead a team as well as work in partnership with other staff, donors, and community organizations.
9. Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work within tight deadlines.
10. Ability to focus on achieving goals and maximizing opportunities.
11. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to understand the nuances of interpersonal dynamics and to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
12. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
13. Able to travel domestically and internationally as may be required.
14. Excellent computer skills. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge fundraising software preferred. Excellent analytic skills and ability to present data and reports in a user-friendly way.
15. Understanding of and appreciation for IMA World Health’s mission and the capacity to project the unique aims and value of the organization to prospective audiences.
16. The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements which may be inherent in the position.